Audio and fan issue about Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stereosurfer, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Stereosurfer macrumors newbie

Just got my rMBP, production week 36, with a LG display, OS 10.8.1.
    Besides light IR problem, the fan goes wild everytime the screensaver is up, and if I check the automatic graphic switching in energy saver, I got click and pops in audio playback.

Is it just me experiencing these?

2. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

No you are not alone.

I just sent mine back 2.7Ghz, 16GB / 768 SSD. I think the internet is clicking and popping sounds in my headphones these days, with ads running on various pages, especially you-tube and those stupid make up ads with muted videos etc etc.

My fan went on FULL BLAST loud wooooshing, whirling sounds (my husband heard from across our large living room) - just watching a small video, only happened the one time but with scorching temps to the touch, the system did not shut down on its own under these extreme circumstances, I had to shut it down myself or something would have caught fire etc. There are a lot of people here trying to justify that it is "normal" or that is "what happens" as if I just dropped onto earth and felt sensations in my fingertips for the first time (LMAO), I know when temperatures are insanely - abnormally scorching upon my finger tips. It isn't in my head.

You have the power as the consumer of these over priced gadgets to exercise your power to let Apple know they suck by returning them their toys and going else where with your business or NOT giving your business to anyone right now (as I have opted on).

Best!

3. polyh3dron macrumors newbie

this is a very high powered notebook computer and it's going to get hot, that's not a defect. the fans are there to actually turn on and they will make noise when they turn on. the computer will still be hot when the fans are on.

4. Uzinusa macrumors newbie

This isn't the case at all. It should be whisper quiet when running your screen saver. Try a reset of the SMC, have a look if there's any strange processes running (though you wont be able to see this with the SS running). And why haven't you just 'phoned Apple or dropped by your nearest shop? They will help.

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Have you recorded any of the internal sensor temperatures with the SS running?

I find it almost impossible to believe that the SS is telling the SMC to ramp up the fans, especially given the OS does not control the SMC!!!

I bet the SS is causing the CPU or GPU to get a tad hot (which is a OS X issue) and hence the SMC spins the fans up.

6. Stereosurfer thread starter macrumors newbie

indeed I don't know how to track Temp under SS, only with 5 webpage opened, no other activities, the CPU Temp sit around 51C,GPU Temp 58~62C, too high?

and I'm 100% sure the graphic switching causing the audio drop-out, I am a audio professional myself, just wondering no any other one noticed this issue?

7. Stereosurfer thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news, reset PRAM does the trick
    No audio drop-out
    Run CPU Test (from CoolBook) for 7 min, CPU temp peaks at 58C, fan goes up to 5800 rpm, that's all, no higher temp observed.
    Screen saver no longer trigger fan

About IR, I can only hope it not going worse with time....

8. Inside_line macrumors regular

This is nothing new with apple. Both my 2006 and 2010 MBP have audio issues. My 2006 I sent back relentlessly and all they did was keep swapping out parts which never fixed it. My 2010 they wanted to do the same thing, but I decided to live with it. The problem isn't the speakers or the wires, or the jacks... it's a noisy / poorly engineered main board because it was most likely rushed to production and not thoroughly tested. You buy apple for the thinness and the sexiness, everything else is low priority.