Audio bugs in iMovie 11'. Need your help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cannondale1974, Jul 4, 2011.

1. cannondale1974, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

cannondale1974 macrumors newbie

Computer is a 27" iMac, i7 processor, 2 terrabyte HD and 4 gig ram. Purchased brand new in December of 2010. Spent 5 hours editing a video and everything was working perfectly. Go to finalize and it gives me an error message "not enough memory in the heap file". I restart computer, install some updates and the message goes away.

After finalizing, the music doesn't fade completely out when playing in full screen mode. I check my edits and the ducking is checked and it actually fades properly in the small screen edit mode. Full screen is quirky though, sometimes it fades properly, other times it doesn't. Any idea what's going on?

2nd audio issue: Video is 3 minutes long, first part of video audio is playing perfect, at say 100%. Then I duck it down to allow for some dialogue, then bring back the music in the last minute of the video. Problem is the music volume only returns to about 80%. I checked all my settings in the inspector window and it's all consistent. I even looked at the audio graph and it's all consistent too. Any idea why the music volume didn't return to 100%? I actually have Final Cut Express 4 but want to get my feet wet in iMovie. Does FCE 4 have these kinds of glitches also?

Thanks for your help! (great forum btw)
    Oh: Here's the video in question: http://vimeo.com/25931058

2. De Rocca macrumors member

I have the same issue when editing my footage. strange things happen with the Audio if you mix audio from your footage and an extra audio track...

Would be interesting to know what's going on...

3. cannondale1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like this is a fairly high end video editing forum with most using FCP. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? If not should I simply call Apple, visit their store or what is the best avenue to solving these audio issues?

Thanks again.

4. cannondale1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Apple has just released an update to iMovie 11, maybe that will fix the problem.

6. cannondale1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, great to hear. When did they release the update? I was working on the video last week and encountered these problems, also installed some updates but don't know if that's the update you were talking about.

7. mstriker macrumors newbie

Try detaching audio from your problem video clip(s) . I read a lot of posts about audio occasionally muting here and there in the final movie. Detaching audio helped to resolve my issues.

8. mikomontgomery macrumors newbie

iMovie 11 is JUNK!

Greetings,

I just wasted about 100 hours of work. I was using the new, buggy Final Cut Pro X and had to switch over to imovie 11 hoping I could finish my project.
    That too turned out to be a buggy joke due to massive audio issues.

I'm DONE with both. Premiere Pro here I come.

The web is filled with the rants and raves of others. Don't take my word for it.

m