Audio cable RCA to Jack 3,5mm

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by MacAddicted84, May 21, 2009.

1. MacAddicted84 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'd want to connect my A/V receiver to my macbook but I want to buy a good quality cable, any idea? (I need 5 metres of cable)

Otherwise, I have the Monster Cable but it is only 2 metres. There is a good quality extension jack/jack.
    I see on ebay but disappointed by the quality.

Thank you for the help

2. Paul Ashton macrumors newbie

Paul Ashton

Getting good quality cables with mini jacks is almost impossible. Same thing with RCA/phono but probably easier because of the hi-fi market.
    It is best to try and avoid extension cables.
    If I were you and I would go for a good quality 5 metre RCA cable which are easier to find and then use an RCA to jack converter.
    Belkin do a reasonable one - after that check all the major brands. You can pay almost as much as you want anything from gold coloured to gold plated.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Does the Macbook have optical output? I think it does. That 3.5mm jack is a combination audio and S/PDIF jack. If your A/V receiver has S/PDIF then absolutely by far the best thing to use is a fiber optic cable.

If you can't use fiber optics order the cable you need from Sweetwater. I see they have a "hosa" brand for under $8. Hosa cables are not bad quality. and they have a "monster" brand for about $60. Monser are slightly better but grossly over priced.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=cable+rca+3.5mm&go=Go!
    Try the $8 cable, shipping is free and quick.

EDIT: You need 5M, sorry. Then you really do want fiber. But if it must be coper wire use RCA cables for most of the run then a short adaptor. RCA cables are two runs of co-ax which is much better then what they put inside a 3.5mm cable. I still recommend sweetwater for cables because they will ship free and you can just tell them your problem a sales engineer will recommend a product. The company offers a very high level of customer service.

4. MacAddicted84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank. The idea of adapter direct me to buy a toslink cable and the relative adapter.
    Isn't that better?

5. MacAddicted84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I has posted in the same time of ChrisA :D
    So, does the macbook pro have a digital output? I don't want to make the wrong purchase...

6. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If your a dab hand with the iron, you could always make your own. That's basically what monster cables are.. only difference is, your paying a premium for their cable of choice.