Audio card no longer recognized !??!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by okayjustin, May 26, 2008.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

After connecting my DJ controller to the computer (one that already has it's on sound card built in) via USB, my MBP no longer recognizes its own audio card. It does not show up under system profiler, either. When I press sound buttons on the MBP, it shows up with an X.
    The only way the sound works now, is through via USB to an external audio card. Which is annoying because the only thing I got is a mixer, which then hooks up to an even bigger sound system that I don't lug around. And FYI, the headphone outlet doesn't work either if it's plugged in there.

I took it to the APPLE STORE, they tried rebooting it from OS from an external hard drive, that didn't work. I tried reinstalling OSX, that doesn't work either.

Any similar situations/ideas/solutions can you guys help ?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Try resetting the PRAM. As soon as you push the "on" button and before the chime, press and hold the Command, Option, "R" and "P" keys all at the same time until you hear the chime. Also, make sure no audio devices are connected to the audio out, audio in, USB or FW ports. Once it reboots, check the Sound Preference panel to see if you've recovered your on-board audio.

3. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

it doesn't work. does anyone have any more ideas ?!?

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

If the apple store already tried booting into OS X via a external, then its a hardware issue. Sound controller is built into the left i/o board, see if you can get that replaced.

5. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

They said $300. IS THERE ANY POSSIBLE WAY TO AVOID THIS FEE!? Are there any other stores around that exist or any alternatives anyone can think of? Quite possibly a USB sound card even? ANY IDEAS?

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

How old is your MBP ? Because there's a 1 year warranty on defective parts.

7. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

well the thing is, i bought it privately and it is no longer warranty. it is actually the older models with a 1.83 ghz processor with only Core Duo not 2 Core Duo.