audio cd burning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michaellynn, Jan 13, 2009.

1. michaellynn macrumors newbie

michaellynn

I don't mean to sound dumb.
    I just switched from vista/pc to a new MBP.

I have a bunch of mp3's that I'd like to make a cd in wave format. How is this done on a mac?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Are you just wanting to create an audio CD using a bunch of different MP3 files? Or are you wanting to convert MP3 files into WAV format?

3. michaellynn thread starter macrumors newbie

michaellynn

I want to convert them as well to wav format to put in a cd player

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you drag your MP3's into iTunes, you can create a playlist and burn it to a CD. There is no need to convert MP3's to WAV files to burn an audio CD to play in any CD player, iTunes takes care of everything for you.

If you want to convert your MP3's to WAV files for other reasons, drag all your MP3's into iTunes. Go up to the main menu bar and click on iTunes. Then click on Preferences. In preferences, click on the General tab and then click the "Import Settings" button. Change the "Input Using" section to say WAV encoder. Close the preferences window. Now you can select all the MP3 files in iTunes and right-click them. You should see an option that says something like "Create WAV version".

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can also use Burn to create audio CDs from mp3s, no need to import to iTunes, just drag and drop.

6. michaellynn thread starter macrumors newbie

michaellynn

will they convert to wave if i just drag and drop in burn or will they remain mp3's

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The will convert to a normal audio CD, which is wav-based.

Why do you need WAV files?

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My experience is that just importing or dragging and dropping mp3 files into iTunes, and then burning them to a CD, results in a disc that only can be played in a CD-player that also plays mp3-files.

I learned this the hard way when I made a CD of a backing track (burned from iTunes) for an audition he had, and when he got there, the disc wouldn't play. Turned out it was an older model that only accepted audio CDs. We had tested the disc on a player at home that could play both mp3 and audio files, and didn't think about the difference before it was too late.

9. HalleluYAH macrumors newbie

These should work for you if you just want to convert your .WAV files:
    EasyWMA 2.9 - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14645/easywma

OR try: Switch Plus 1.40 - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26962/switch-plus

Another Alternative: X Lossless Decoder 20080914 - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23430/x-lossless-decoder

iTunes is the default music-player on my Mac, but I prefer open source applications like Songbird to play & manage most of my audio-files. It's not better than iTunes, but it's worth trying.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It depends on what setting you have iTunes on, it can burn either audio CDs or mp3 CDs.

That's not even close to what this thread is about.