Audio cd just "clicks" and gets ejected?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blkrazr-x1, Nov 15, 2011.

1. blkrazr-x1 macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

As the title says, my year old MBP is starting to show signs of wear and tear. I have created another thread about this, but.....

I had to return an audio cd to amazon becuase when I put it in to rip it to iTunes, the superdrive would start and the cd would spin. HOWEVER, the drive would click and try again until finally it just spits the cd out.

Today I received my replacement cd and sure enough, it did the same thing. However, I was able to rip about 3 cds with no problems before and after :confused:

I have already repaired permissions, did the command+option+P+R at start up and cleaned the lens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :apple:

2. zaxdude macrumors regular

I don't have any ideas, but you might consider sharing the specific name of the CD in question. Others on this forum may have it in their possession and see if they to have the same issue.

3. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Is it a CD that conforms to the Red Book standards?

4. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

The cd in question is "Night of the Stormrider" by Iced Earth. I got it from Amazon.

I am a little lost about the "Red Book Standards" :(:eek:

5. warvanov macrumors 6502a

6. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

It plays in my car and regular stereo. It just doesn't want to play in my MBP. I just got about 4 cds from Amazon today. All the same band (iced earth) and the other 3 ripped successfully.

The only other time that this happened was with a "3 Days Grace" cd :confused:

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

I literally had my CD drive replaced under AppleCare last week for a similar problem.

I was burning three CDs onto my computer, two worked, the third didn't. Only difference is that after 2/3 of them worked, and the third one not working, I was no longer able to put any of the audio CDs in.

8. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Your drive needs to be replaced.

Failing cd drives will wok sporadically.

9. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

Well as of right now, I do not have time to go to my nearest Apple store, which is 2+hours away. Also, I do not plan on performing surgery on my computer.

I am looking into purchasing an external cd drive. In my other thread I asked this.

Does anyone have ANY recommendations on a solid, non-portable external cd drive? I do NOT need something portable, as this would be used only at home.

Main interest would be performance and durability :)

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

same here. I knew something was weird when my system disc would not work. So I had the Optical Drive replaced.

11. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

Yea, did they replace it with the same SuperDrive that is used now?

12. ender land macrumors 6502a

I don't think so, I think it's a newer one.

i'm not sure, though, since I had a 2010 13" and I doubt the drives are the same now.

13. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

If the MBP is still under warranty Apple will pay for shipping both ways; turnaround time when I had an optical drive replaced was three days. Apple even provides the shipping box.

If anything is going to fail on an MBP it is the optical drive, particularly if it is used a lot. They are cheaply-made with mostly plastic components.

There are external USB drives at Amazon. A model that has a lot of positive reviews costs around $40. Sorry, I don't recall the brand name. The Apple Super Drive is over-priced IMO...

14. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

Yea I actually just purchased the LG electronics WH12LS30K.

Saw 5 positive reviews and from what other people on here and various forums have said, it's pretty solid.