Audio Cut Out on a PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperJudge, May 22, 2009.

1. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

I've been facing an annoying problem that has been getting progressively worse, so I figured it would be time to get a second opinion because I'm drawing a blank.

Background: I have a PowerMac G5, 2.0Ghz DP with 6GB of RAM. Video is supplied to two monitors with a stock AGP Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB of VRAM and a flashed PCI Radeon 7000 with 64MB of VRAM.

Problem: Whenever I am heavily multitasking, iTunes seems to randomly cut out whenever I am doing something on the screen powered by the 7000, but never the 9800's screen. I've tried using Songbird as well, but the problem seems to be systemic since all audio cuts out at this point, but will come back within a minute or two.

I've been watching Activity monitor fairly closely, but haven't noticed any processor or RAM usage spikes that coincide with the loss of audio. In fact, the processors rarely crest a combined 110% and I almost always have at least 2GB of RAM free and untouched.

I have a pair of nVidia GeForce 5200s (an AGP and a PCI, both with 256MB of VRAM) lying about that I could easily flash. Would installing those help? I somehow doubt it, but there might be something I don't know about this as a whole.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can offer!

2. tielure macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, or something similar, audio just stops playing with itunes, youtube what ever. and sometimes there is static that comes blasting through. If i remove the 1/8th in stereo and plug it back in all is ok. Makes no sense to me and I have found nothing out in the interweb that would lead me to a solution.

So if anyone does know the answer tot this riddle, or can point me to another board that does, it would be much appreciated.