Audio Dead On Mac Mini After Lion Install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gizmo22, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Gizmo22, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Original message below, but new issue surfaced.

All audio is dead on the Mac Mini following an install of OSX Lion. Apple's MIDI software and sys-prefs show no audio available, and task bar has everything greyed out. Is it possible to replace a driver or two?

After a nightmare experience trying to get a Time Machine backup to work [apparently corrupted?], I set up a new account on the new system and set it up as close as I could remember compared to the old.
    For iTunes, I copied the iTunes folder under <user>/music/iTunes on the old system, and placed this in the new system's music folder.
    Now, nothing plays in iTunes or Quicktime. It seems to find the file just fine, but nothing else. In iTunes the files just sit there without any movement on the progress/play bar. In Quicktime, I get "this document cannot be opened...error 101"
    Any thoughts?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First try to Reset Your PRAM to see if that helps. Also open System Preferences->Sound and make sure your speakers are selected.

3. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

No output devices found in sys prefs. Audio Midi shows same.

Have tried SMC reset, PRAM, popping open the unit to see if the interconnect cable was loose...nothing.

4. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

I have now tried a complete tear down and rebuild of the Mini. All cables plugged in [that I know of...?] and still nothing.

All I see anywhere is "no output devices found," but I am now getting a Device ID under System Profiler where as before all I saw was Audio ID: 0

Does this add any pieces to the puzzle?

5. mactagg macrumors member

Having Same Issue

I upgraded to 10.6.8 and had identical problem. No audio, grayed-out menu bar icon and all iTunes stuff, from music to movies, don't play. I click on individual videos and nothing happens. The progress bar stays still even though it says it's playing and the screen is blank. Now I'm using Lion and the problem persists.

I reset everything. PRAM, SMC, etc. No cable are loose and I can't seem to find an answer. I even tried using an older version of applehda.kext file because people were having problems with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Still nothing!

This is really frustrating. :mad::mad::mad:

Go into the Terminal and type: sudo killall coreaudiod

It may work for you because it seems to work for others.

6. mactagg macrumors member

VLC video works though without the sound

VLC video works and music plays (but I can't hear anything). Flash videos work in Firefox and Safari but Apple's own website videos do not.

So, iTunes fails to play any content but it will play if it is sent to my Apple TV. Quicktime fails to play anything on its own. I can play videos on VLC... Hmmm.

This is a strange, strange problem.