Audio distorted in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by David-fr, Aug 14, 2011.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

I rencently did a video trailer for a game I work with. It was my 1st project with FCP X transitioning from iMovie 11' (yeah im not a pro) and found FCP X to be AWESOME!

The issue is that there are 3 parts of the audio distorted. The weird part is that i did not mess with that part of the audio :S

The 1st one is a company logo which was done by pros and it sounds good elsewhere, the other part is a the game logo made by the same people. The 3rd part is a FCP audio effect >_<!

Here is the link to the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcUAD-GsyY
    And here is the FCP project, if you can help :)

Thanks a lot for helping a n00b ;)

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Did you check the waveforms if there are any spikes going into the yellow or even red?

3. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did that, that 2nd version has the audio lowered, here is the 1st version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB-bTvlEm1U

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Make sure the sample rate off the sound from the videos you got are the same as your timeline. Also what kind of files did they give you? Highly compressed?

5. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

The files were originally avi files, and very heavy so they were not compressed.

I had to use hand break to make them h264. I will convert them again at a different bit rate. But if that is the issue why the FCP effect is distorted too? :S

6. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

You shouldn't be converting them to H.264 for editing. It's way too compressed. You need either Apple Intermediate Codec or Apple Pro Res.

7. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

So this is what could be causing the issue? What other software I can use for conversion? FCP X doesn't take avi..

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

do you have perian installed? I think you should be able to import .avi material when you have it installed.

9. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Will try right now, thanks for the tip. Will report back..

Ahh NVM, I have to wait until tomorrow, I deleted the avi files and only kept the M4V.

10. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

11. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again for the replies, so we agree that the distortion is due to the conversion to M4V from AVI.

I will delete those parts and re-edit with the native AVI files. The last issue I can see is the FCP effect, it's distorted too :(

The effect is at minute 1:55 in the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcUAD-GsyY