Audio distortion on 2012 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OniSlayer, Feb 15, 2015.

1. OniSlayer macrumors newbie

My rMBP has worked fine since I got it brand new in 2012 but last night the audio on the right speaker plays distorted. It sounds muffled and more apparent with low tones and it happens with all audio. It's almost akin to a buzzing noise and it's really irritating. Headphones work and sound just fine when plugged in though.

I'm not a speaker or audio expert but has anyone experience anything similar? Has my speaker gone kaput? I assume it's hardware related and maybe its just my speaker going bad. Seems strange to me that speakers would go bad approaching 3 years old. Advice?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds like the speaker blew out. Check that you are on the proper balance in System Preference --> Sound. I would take it into Apple and have them check it out! I have only seen blown speakers on a MacBook once before and it was from some schmuck cranking the volume to 100 in System Preferences and VLC all the way to max on a song with a LOT of bass.

3. OniSlayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. The balance and everything is fine. I haven't been playing anything really loud at the time I noticed it happening. It's all very strange to me. I'll just have to take it into apple and see what they say. The distortion is only really noticeable with lots of bass and when the volume is up high.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds like it is going to need a speaker. Good luck at Apple and report back with how it works out.

5. xmakeafistx macrumors newbie

It sounds a lot like its your speaker. Sometimes you don't have to be playing anything that loud to mess up one of your speakers, sometimes clipping in audio can screw up your speakers. Could potentially be related to the internal amplifier. I'm personally not a fan of the built in speakers. Let me know how much they want to charge you for a new set of speakers, maybe if you wouldn't mind going for a desktop setup it'd be cheaper.

6. OniSlayer thread starter macrumors newbie

I was also considering that. Maybe I'll just plug in some desktop speakers and call it a day. I only ever use my Pro as a desktop anyway and always take my air on the go. If i ever do decide to go I'll definitely update.

7. xmakeafistx macrumors newbie

Let me know if you end up getting a desktop setup at any point. I'm an heavily into audio equipment and I wouldn't want you to waste your money on mediocre products.