Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Dear,

I am a happy new owner of a Ipod Touch 32GB. I think I am lucky since I have a perfect screen without any dead or stucked pixels, and a perfect casework.

However I do have a slight problem with listening to music. Once in a while I have some drop outs in the audio for a second. Very annoying in the middle of songs. It is not a fault in my MP3's or lossless files, it happen un regular. Sometimes not for hours, an then it appears again.

Is there something I overlooked? A buffer adjustment or some other preferences? Does anyone else ever had it?

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,
Bas

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
You should probably do a restore to 2.1. If it doesn't fix the problem, I would take it in to the Apple Store.

Dear,

Sorry for my beginners question, but how do I do such a restore? Is this a common problem? I am afraid to go back to the store, because I don't want a replacement with a big change on dead pixels etc.

with kind regards,
Bas

harinezumi

macrumors member
May 4, 2007
UK
i have a 1G iPod Touch and the symptom that you have explained happens to me when the iPod is trying to load up the lyrics.

i hope this helps.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Dear All,

I still have the problems, but I read on other forums that people who exchange the touch2G had the same problems with the new ones. No one here have the problem? Also my screen seems to be looose at the left corner next to the home button. anyone else have it?

With best regards,
Bas

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Dear All,

I still have the problems, but I read on other forums that people who exchange the touch2G had the same problems with the new ones. No one here have the problem? Also my screen seems to be looose at the left corner next to the home button. anyone else have it?

With best regards,
Bas

People having recurring problems with multiple iPods lends to the belief that it could be your content that's causing the problems. Either that or your headphones. I don't quite understand the problem, but if you have a loose screen, I'd take it back anyway and see if the next one has the same issue.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Does the audio drop out just when you're listening to music or are you "multi-tasking" when it happens? For example, are you browsing the web or looking at photos?

A couple of things to try- connect your iPod to your Mac/PC and use iTunes to Restore

Also, when your iPod it disconnected or at least ejected, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together. You'll get a screen offering to 'Slide To Power Off' or 'Cancel'. Keep the buttons held down and the iPod will reset.

Now be patient, my Touch takes about 5 minutes to reset. Whether this is typical or a bug yet to be solved, I don't know.

With regards to the loose screen- it's under warranty, take it back to an Apple Store and get it swapped. I had a battery problem with mine and they swapped it in store.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Does the audio drop out just when you're listening to music or are you "multi-tasking" when it happens? For example, are you browsing the web or looking at photos?

A couple of things to try- connect your iPod to your Mac/PC and use iTunes to Restore

Also, when your iPod it disconnected or at least ejected, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together. You'll get a screen offering to 'Slide To Power Off' or 'Cancel'. Keep the buttons held down and the iPod will reset.

Now be patient, my Touch takes about 5 minutes to reset. Whether this is typical or a bug yet to be solved, I don't know.

With regards to the loose screen- it's under warranty, take it back to an Apple Store and get it swapped. I had a battery problem with mine and they swapped it in store.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Dear duncyboy,

thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I tried all your tricks already but the problems stays. I am afraid to send mine back to Apple, since I am kind of happy with my current touch2G since it has a perfect screen without dead pixels. You never experience audio dropouts yourself? About the screen. I don't mind that the corned is loose, but I am affraid one day dust will get underneath the screen.

To answer your question. I don't do anything at all on my Ipod other then listening music. Even wifi and any other functions are switched off. It is just in my pocket in a safe Belkin case. The weird thing is, sometimes it work flawless for days. And then all of the sudden it appear. And once it start it will be there for a while. and then it is over again. It is very annoying.

With kind regards,
Bas

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I have nearly the same problems. My iPod Touch 32gb 2g drops audio occasionally after locking, and though it thinks it is still playing, it only requires a pause and play to get back audio. Also, the right bottom corner of my touch can be depressed into the casing. These issues are about all I can find wrong with the new touches, and they are nothing compared to my first gen. I will stick with this one unless it should get worse.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
Does it only skip on lossless files only? There is a known issue with Apple hopefully working on a fix.

The symtoms are the skips are random. Chances are when you listen to the song again it won't skip, or won't skip at the same places. When you play back the same song on the computer, it won't skip.

Test a few songs with lossless, then again a few songs with mp3/aac lossy, you should be able to run into the problem in the former a few songs into your test.

One workaround is to keep the screen from locking up, i.e. disable screen lock. Yes it does kill battery life pretty quickly, but you can turn the screen brightness almost all the way down and try to conserve as much as possible.

My 32GB iPod Touch 2nd Gen behaves the same (like yours). My 16GB iPod nano 4th gen also does very rarely skip, however with the most recent firmware update, it's been solid ever since. Hopefully the fix will come out very soon for the Touch.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I had been experiencing audio just stopping altogether in the middle of audio podcast playbacks. Sometimes I could get it to start playing again by starting the play from the beginning of the podcast, but didn't always work. Then I tried the reset, and after that it never happened again.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Dear All,

The drop outs sounds like a hick up.. Like the system runs out of buffer or something. No matter which file format or bitrate. It happens random and can be with any song. Lossless or MP3.

And about the glass.. Do you find it acceptable. With other words, if those issues are there on every Ipod Touch it makes no sense to go back, since my new one going to have the same. What you guys think?

With kind regards,
Bas

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
I wouldn't worry about gettnig a bad replacement- that would be covered by warranty also. As you say, over time the loose screen could get worse and cause more damage. When I was given my replacement Touch at the Apple Store I had a chance to look it over- you'd be able to check for dead pixels/screen defects etc then.

And if you did discover a flaw somewhere down the line it's still covered by warranty.

My replacement iPod- software bugs aside- is perfect. No scratches, no faults, no dead/stuck pixels.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I wouldn't worry about gettnig a bad replacement- that would be covered by warranty also. As you say, over time the loose screen could get worse and cause more damage. When I was given my replacement Touch at the Apple Store I had a chance to look it over- you'd be able to check for dead pixels/screen defects etc then.

And if you did discover a flaw somewhere down the line it's still covered by warranty.

My replacement iPod- software bugs aside- is perfect. No scratches, no faults, no dead/stuck pixels.

And never audio dropouts or hicks?

With kind regards,
Bas

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands

Did u get a refurbished one?

Best regards,
Bas

Gorbushka

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
This is common issue, it happens to all 2nd generation ipod Touch. Replacing ipod won't fix this issue. It only happens when playing files in Apple lossless format after the screen goes off.
Please call Support and have them document this issue and assign case number. Support told me that they will only start looking into this issue after they get enough complaints. For now it is immaterial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.