Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
My admittedly old but still very functional setup:

- Mac Pro early 2008 8 Core
- 12 GB Ram
- ATI Radeon HD 4870
- Apps running on SSD drive
- Presonus Firebox interface connected via Firewire
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

For my project, I need to record new audio dialogue for a movie sequence. My mic is plugged into the Firebox, and I record directly into the audio tracks section in Premiere Pro. Technically, it works, but there is a slight lag. I always need to move the recorded audio section about 1/4 second back so it will be in synch with the video.

Any idea what is causing this lag in my setup? Will a simple hardware upgrade help (ram, video card, interface)? Should I use an entirely different setup to achieve my goal? Is the CPU simply too old/slow for this?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
These things can be hard to diagnose, but my hunch is the Presonus FW interface. In my experience, I would start there. You can test this with a mic through a different interface. Other questions: are you running other apps (is there enough free memory)? What OS? What's the boot drive? I noticed you state that the apps are located on an SSD, but the FW drivers are running through the OS, so if this is on HDD then there could be latency there.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Thanks for your feedback.

Boot drive is the aforementioned SSD. It's almost full, so I need to do some clean-up. OS is Yosemite. I close all other apps, so I doubt memory is the issue.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
I don't know how much Premiere is optimised for that kind of thing. A audio editor optimised for live recording should perform better.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Premiere is not the best for this as well as other NLEs.

You need something that will handle real time and is made for that.

Sadly Pro Tools is my choice but its not cheap.

I would check into Audition.

Last ADR I had to deal with was done in Pro Tools and it was over 90% of the full feature :p

I cant imagine trying to do that in an NLE.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I just checked, and my CS4 package doesn't have Audition, but Soundbooth. Would that be a good tool to do this?

MarkMoran

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Soundbooth became Audition somewhere around CS6 I believe, and yes - I'd agree that you'll get way better performance from a dedicated audio application than Premiere. Make sure your sampling and bitrate aren't unnecessarily high, too, as that can hamper performance. If there are settings in your audio intervace, make sure that they correspond to what you're recording in software.

If the performance is still lagging, try using an even lighter (on resources, not necessaarily features) program like Audacity. It's great, enormously functional, and free!

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.