Audio extension cable needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DanielCoffey, Nov 24, 2010.

1. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I am looking for advice on an extension cable which is compatible with the new iPod headphones - the ones with the in-line 3-button control.

I have a new pair of Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones and they work perfectly on my iPod Touch and also when plugged directly into the back of my mid-2007 iMac (audio only of course in that case) but I find the cable just a little too short to use when sitting in front of the iMac as it overhangs the keyboard.

I tried connecting them to a very old 3.5mm male-female stereo extension lead and the audio quality was terrible and intermittent. Moving the male headphone connector around in the female end of the 3.5mm stereo extension also made "burbling" noises in the treble come and go so I suspect that the extension lead is not matching up properly with the extra connectors on the Klipsch headphones. The same extension worked perfectly with my old pair of Klipsch Custom-1 headphones so I know it isn't likely to be a loose connection.

What I think I need is a short (50cm or so) audio extension lead which is compatible with the S4i connector at the female end. I know the iMac is stereo 3.5mm only, so the male end is fine. If I understand it correctly, any 3.5mm audio lead *should* be fine but my current one obviously isn't.

Recommendations please?

2. DanielCoffey thread starter macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

UPDATE : I have managed to isolate the fault on my old 3.5mm extension cable.

If I put it between the headphones and iPod, there is a very good chance I will get the "grotty, burbling, underwater" effect in the treble. If I then very gently rotate the connectors at the male earphone / female extension cable join, suddenly there will be a click and the sound will be perfect until I rotate it back again when the grotty sound will return.

I assume something in the female end of the extension lead is not making a proper connection with the male jack on the earphones and therefore any new quality extension cable should work correctly.

Reasonable assumption?

3. DanielCoffey thread starter macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Issue solved - new high-quality 3.5mm extension cable on the way.