Audio Feedback from the headphone jack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezekielrage_99, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I just got myself a refurbished MacBook Pro, it's a great machine and I am really happy with my purchase.

But there seems to be a fair bit of feedback from the headphone jack whenever I plug a pair of headphones in. The noise is basically a low hiss or a low "modem" type clicking sound sometimes.

Although it's not that bad with the headphones that you get with the iPod but with my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 you do notice it.

I was wondering if this is normal with the previous generation of MBPs because I never seemed to have this issue with my old Macbook (C2D or G4), or should I just take it into the Apple centre because it's only a few weeks old.

2. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

if its a low buzzing sound, unplug the headphones, and plug em in. and it should go away. My last 2 macbooks have had that problem. If its something else, definitly call apple.

3. nb705 macrumors newbie

There are a couple of issues it could be, if the noise is high pitched, try checking the sound without the power supply plugged in, this can induce noise in the ground of the audio output. Also occasionally you can get noise before and after a sound effect when using the line out, this is down to the quality of the DACs used in the design (pretty naff really).

If you really want a high quality output, use an external soundcard, like the Sound Devices USBPre or an external DAC/headphone amp with the optical output.

4. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

The hiss is audible whenever there's no sound playing, e.g the headphones, etc are plugged in but there's nothing playing out.

5. Red-red macrumors 6502

I remember reading something, somewhere ( It might this forum so don't take it as gospel ) that some of the previous generation MBP's did this?

I've had PC's that have done it in the past. Very annoying. The new MBP doesn't do it and my friends older MBP doesn't ( Not that i've picked up on anyway )

Trying ringing apple.

6. CTechKid macrumors regular

A) Well known and documented issue.

B) To keep it plainly simple, the current fix is to use a headphone extension cable with volume control. Set the volume to maximum on your MBP/application, and use the extension volume control to adjust the volume.