iPhone 7(+) Audio fidelity of iphone 5 vs 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmm55, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:44 PM.

1. jmm55 macrumors member

jmm55

I have an iphone 7+, and I recently bought a Shure MV88, which is a decent mic with lightning connection. I don't really like using my newer iphone 7+ in a recording environment (guitars/amps moving around) so I'm thinking of buying an iphone 5 or 6, just for the purpose of recording, however, I am wondering if the internal fidelity is going to be better in an iphone 7 vs iphone 5 or 6.

Does anyone have any insight into the question of the audio fidelity of iphone 5 vs 7? I know the Shure mic can record @16bit 44.1Khz resolution. My intuition is that since the mic is doing the work and as long as the iphone 5 is capable of handling wav files at that resolution sound files recorded on the two different devices should be identical when played back on other gear, but I'd like a second opinion.

2. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Coming from a radio background, I can assure you buddy that you'll have ZERO problems with the 5 for that use. Heck, I even have a 4S for audio use which is exceptional still and compares well to my XS.

Components on the iPhones have always been incredible AND I am even seeing journalists use the built in microphone on the iPhone to record interviews!!! It's that decent!
    It's VERY VERY refreshing after having radio journalists use MiniDisc recorders with big pro separate batteries and heavy cases in the mid 2000s - they'd record a one off interview with some pop star, hurry off, return to the studio only to find that they hadn't performed the 30 second TOC on the machine and find that the complete interview hadn't recorded!!!!! Let's just say that I saw many journalists over the years in absolute tears & despair and their careers hanging by a thread! The iPhone has replaced all of this old junky equipment! And saved many careers!

PS BIG FAN of Shure mikes from the SM58 in my pirate radio days to the incredible SM7 :)

3. jmm55 thread starter macrumors member

jmm55

Thank you for the reply and confirmation. I'll start looking for a 5 or 6 for audio only.