Audio file converting problemo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TjeuV, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I've had this problem given to me: There's an external hard drive full of music placed in different folders. The most part of those folders contain WMA files, with aswell mp3's.
    All that music has to be copied into his iTunes library on his mac hd. What's the easiest/fastest way to convert all those wma's to mp3, into his iTunes library?

I was thinking on making a que in handbrake, adding those folders 20 at a time or so? Not sure if i have to filter out those mp3's?

2. TjeuV thread starter macrumors 6502

How I appreciate the trouble you've done, it's not about an app I need. I'm looking for someone that might've had the same problem and how he'd done it. I guess it'll be folder dropping into handbrake all day long ...

edit: I'm talking about 320GB of music.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I believe smirk's point was that the MediaHuman app can collect quite a large list of files before converting. See the how-to page and find where it says "you can have a rest while it is working".

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Yes, thank you, that was my point. I'm not sure I am understanding what the issue is. It should be relatively simple to convert audio files from one type to another, regardless of how many there are. In fact, doesn't iTunes convert music when you add music to it? I have a vague memory of pointing iTunes to a music library once and seeing it convert all the unprotected Windows audio files to MP3s or AACs.

If you can explain where you're running into difficulty then perhaps we can help you better.

5. TjeuV thread starter macrumors 6502

In fact, I've tried the application you suggested and told the person to go ahead with that. At first, I also thought iTunes would do it automaticaly ... but it didn't ;)

His external HDD was a mess. Tons of folders with combined audio files, such as mp3 and WMA. I was looking for software with an advanced sorting mechanisme. This person now has to do all the folders manually, one by one. Good about the application you suggested is that you can import a folder straight to an iTunes playlist but still, I was hoping I could find something faster. Luckily the converting itself goes bulletfast :)