Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Audio-Focused Natural History Series 'Earthsound' Coming to Apple TV+

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+ will gain a new natural history series titled "Earthsound," in a project that uses the latest audio technology to tell stories from the natural world (via Deadline).

Apple TV+ has ordered 12 half-hour episodes of the series from British production company "Offspring Films" and the makers of "Planet Earth II," "Blue Planet II," and "Big Blue: Live." Offspring Films also produced the upcoming Apple TV+ series "Earth at Night in Color."

Earthsound will use advanced audio technologies and cinematic 360-degree sound design to "reveal the unexpected, unfamiliar, and untold natural stories on every continent of the planet."

Earthsound joins Apple's expanding roster of natural history documentaries, which also includes "Tiny World," "Earth at Night in Color," and "The Elephant Queen."

Article Link: Audio-Focused Natural History Series 'Earthsound' Coming to Apple TV+

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Wow I hope they stream with 7 channel audio. I'm not 100% sure how streaming services package their audio streams, but I'd love to experience this in my 7.2.4 media room :)

Reactions: gridlocked
Comment

Chrjy

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
UK
Yes! More of this please Apple!! My kind of content! I love nature docs.

Tiny World (out now) is incredible btw. Not to be missed.

Totally agree, it was totally amazing. How they managed to get some of those shots is just astonishing, it's no wonder it was a decade in the making.

Comment

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007

Apple TV+ will gain a new natural history series titled "Earthsound," in a project that uses the latest audio technology to tell stories from the natural world (via Deadline).

Apple TV+ has ordered 12 half-hour episodes of the series from British production company "Offspring Films" and the makers of "Planet Earth II," "Blue Planet II," and "Big Blue: Live." Offspring Films also produced the upcoming Apple TV+ series "Earth at Night in Color."

Earthsound will use advanced audio technologies and cinematic 360-degree sound design to "reveal the unexpected, unfamiliar, and untold natural stories on every continent of the planet."

Earthsound joins Apple's expanding roster of natural history documentaries, which also includes "Tiny World," "Earth at Night in Color," and "The Elephant Queen."

Article Link: Audio-Focused Natural History Series 'Earthsound' Coming to Apple TV+
Looks like Apple is following Netflix's lead here in the nature doc dept. First they "copied" Tiny Creatures on Netflix with Tiny World and now they are doing their own Night on Earth too. But when it comes to nature docs, more choices and competition are only a good thing for viewers like me.

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
every day a new TV+ series seems to be introduced...is this all leading to next week's event?

this series sounds really good.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40
Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
every day a new TV+ series seems to be introduced...is this all leading to next week's event?

this series sounds really good.
Yeah, the release schedule is picking up serious steam. Right now, we are scheduled for at least one new release every single Friday of October for either a Season 2 (Ghostwriter), new movie (On the Rocks), or series (Tiny World, earlier this month).

At this rate of announcements, I expect Apple to have a new release every week of November and December as well. We already know there are new docu-series coming out in Nov. and Dec. (one on people, one on animal nightlife) plus Wolfwalker and a holiday special or two. I expect Dickinson S2 and For All Mankind S2 to slot in either in Dec. or Jan.

Apple's fall lineup is very nice. I hope this is what we can expect from TV+ in 2021 as well. There were a bunch of upsetting dry spells this past year (March, June, etc.).

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Good chance to listen to them now before poachers, “traditional medicine”, and land developers ruin what’s left of the natural world.

Reactions: Huck
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.