Audio for an Apple Dorm

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by njdevil, Apr 28, 2012.

1. njdevil macrumors member

Decided I need to get some kind of proper audio situation sorted for my dorm room next semester, I have a budget of up to $200. Uses would be gaming, movies and music

I've got a MBP, a PS3, 26"TV, an iPod I'd like to be able to dock and an Airport Express. I'm trying to figure out how (or if) I can connect all these sources to a single output easily, so I don't know if I should go with a headset or speakers.

Headsets would probably make sense since I could use them and not wake the neighbours or anything. The Sony PS3 7.1 Headset looks like a pretty good deal, but I've heard the surround sound doesn't work on Mac or PC so that diminishes the allure somewhat.

However I think I just like the idea of speakers a lot better- right now I'm looking at the Audioengine A2s, but they don't have an iPod dock.

So really I'm just asking if anyone has good advice for audio setups for a college dorm- specific speakers or perhaps headset recommendations would be great. I'm fairly new to the world of audio equipment so any help would be awesome!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd go with some headphones. The Sony MDR series are excellent quality at a reasonable price.

3. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

Swan Speakers if you can get em cheap. They are AWESOME.

4. njdevil thread starter macrumors member

Just out of curiosity, anyone here used the PS3 headset with a mac? does Surround sound work?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could connect the a2's to your expess and then use AirPlay for your mac and iPod using the RCA side to your tv for ps3/films etc

6. njdevil thread starter macrumors member

So I could have speakers connected to both an Express and a TV at the same time? I didn't know I could do that, thanks!

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Providing you don't feed both audio sources at the same time.