Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deleet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
I was wondering if im correct in saying that the following would work like it would on a PC...

Setup:

Monitor with no audio out or built-in speakers.
Mac mini has external speakers via the Audio out.

Xbox 360 is setup so that it has a 3.5mm jack, would putting this 3.5mm in the audio in allow for sound from the xbox to come out of the external speakers that are connected to the mac mini?

This setup works on a PC, im assuming audio in is the same as line in (blue)

The reason im asking instead of trying is im yet to purchase a mac mini,

Thanks in advance.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm not sure that this would work. OS X tends to keep audio channels separate. At the very least, if your external input was connected to the external output, then any sounds that the Mac generated itself would not be passed to the external speakers.

You are best off getting some kind of mixer that allows the output of the XBox and Mac to be passed to the speakers.
There are software mixers that link up inputs and output on the Mac, such as Soundflower, but they are not always ideal.

Deleet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Oh well I thought this was possible using an app called LineIn, how certain are you this setup won't work?

And if so do you have any recommendations on overcoming the issue and allowing for my setup to work?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Oh well I thought this was possible using an app called LineIn, how certain are you this setup won't work?
As I said, you can get software mixers that may work. However, they can be a bit flaky. I don't have much experience with them.

And if so do you have any recommendations on overcoming the issue and allowing for my setup to work?
As I said, you can try the software mixers, and if you're not happy with that, then you need a hardware audio mixer.
I have an external audio interface that allows me to pass multiple inputs as output and vice versa.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
I was wondering if im correct in saying that the following would work like it would on a PC...

Setup:

Monitor with no audio out or built-in speakers.
Mac mini has external speakers via the Audio out.

Xbox 360 is setup so that it has a 3.5mm jack, would putting this 3.5mm in the audio in allow for sound from the xbox to come out of the external speakers that are connected to the mac mini?

This setup works on a PC, im assuming audio in is the same as line in (blue)

The reason im asking instead of trying is im yet to purchase a mac mini,

Thanks in advance.

I believe it is possible with an app like SoundFlower or maybe LineIn.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
As I said, you can get software mixers that may work. However, they can be a bit flaky. I don't have much experience with them.

As I said, you can try the software mixers, and if you're not happy with that, then you need a hardware audio mixer.
I have an external audio interface that allows me to pass multiple inputs as output and vice versa.

Is a mixer what I would need if I want to output sound from my Mac Mini INTO my PC and then out to the speakers hooked up to the PC? I have that happening right now using my onboard sound card but there is really bad audio quality/buzzing when I turn the volume up on Line In. Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.