Audio from MBP to HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarcusA, Sep 8, 2011.

1. MarcusA macrumors newbie

I'm trying to hook up my macbook pro to the television to stream shows from my notebook straight to the tv (trying to circumvent "web-only" shows on Hulu).

I've found the following cord which I think will take care of my video, but don't know how to take care of the audio.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-6-Feet-Dvi-d-PCM-2296-06/dp/B0007MWE1E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204594793&sr=8-1

Thanks for any help you can provide - I'm new to Macs and not very tech-saavy anyway so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,
    Marc

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Check your system preferences | Sound application. It's probably something you'll have to enable in the output to and select your TV.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

that cable will not connect to your MacBook Pro. not sure who told you it will. you need a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, and a general duty HDMI cable. then, if your MBP is a 2010+ model, audio will tranmit over the HDMI cable. if your MBP is a pre-2010 model, you will need to make an audio jumper from the headphone port to an external amp.

4. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

OP - if you have a 2010 or newer MBP, this is the cable you want:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable

It's easy to connect to your TV. I use it as "2nd Display" so I can still use my MBP while watching something. If you have problems with getting audio to work, make sure you go to System Preferences > Sound >output > choose the HDTV.