audio help - MBP to flat panel tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chippy29, Sep 5, 2008.

1. chippy29 macrumors newbie

I want to connect my MBP to my flat panel TV.
    I have the video all squared away with a DVI to DVI cable (surprisingly, there was no HDMI port on the flat panel). That looks fantastic.

So, the easy part should be the audio but for some reason it is not coming through. I currently have a cable (not sure what kind this is called) that goes from 1/8" headphone port on the MBP to split into a red and blue to the TV.

I'm wondering which port to plug the audio cables into? The TV gets set to DVI and I'm not sure which audio matches up with that setting. The current options are AV1,2,3 and component but none of those have worked so far. There is also a "line in" port next to the DVI on the TV. Any chance there is a different audio cable I might need or a different setting on the TV or MBP? ehh

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Usually (speaking from experience) a 3.5mm Stereo mini jack lead should work. As you stated there's a 'line in' port next to the DVI, which is actually for just that, audio from your source - in this case your MBP. Forget all the other ports, you can't connect your audio to one input and the video to another.

I'd buy a "3.5mm Stereo Jack" to "3.5mm Stereo Jack" connection cable, ideally the same length as your existing DVi cable.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

3.5mm headphone to 3.5mm headphone from your headphone jack on ur mbp to the 3.5mm in you found on ur tv should work.

4. chippy29 thread starter macrumors newbie