Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all,

Does anyone know any software that is able to identify audio.
I want something that shows the encoder used and also the bitrate, something like Audio Identifier http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Audio_Identifier.htm but for :apple: Mac.

I have a large collection of music that I have got over the years and encoded in various ways, until I knew better about codecs etc and would like to go through it and check out the quality of it all, then I know which ones I need to re-rip.

thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
iTunes can do this a little bit (bitrate, ..., but not the codec like Lame or so).
QuickTime Player can also show you some info about your clips, but it is a hassle to open every clip there.

Maybe even CMD+I in Finder could give you enough info.

iTunes columns
Picture+7.png

QT Player Movie Inspector
movie_inspector.gif

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm sure you can use Applescript to do this, I'm looking into this atm. I think it's gonna work out.

OKAY: after some searching, I seems like we can only easily access the bit rate, and the sample rate. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to get at all the info inside the song info window.

Ugh, I give up.

EDIT: that linked page didn't load for me, but you can try MetaX and see if it does what you need.

SDart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
I have exported the list from itunes into openoffice spreadsheet, as you both says this gives the bitrate and the type, sorting this in the spreadsheet has given me most of the info I need. I dont have the codec used, but in most cases it doesnt matter as the bitrate is so low it wouldnt make a difference, and I will rip it again.
itunes does have the ability to show the information, because if you go to info and summary on a song it shows the "encoded with" but i dont seem to be able to display this in a column.

thanks all for the info all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.