Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
A few questions about this, not been able to find the answers elsewhere.

- On the current white Macbook, how can you choose whether the "user selectable" audio jack works as an audio-in or an audio out?

- If you get the right adaptor, could you use the audio-in and audio-out simultaneously?

- I presume the audio-out is stereo, not mono. But is the audio-in stereo or mono?

Cheers
SL

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
In the system preferences under sound.

Not with the built-in jack. It's either one or the other. You could use a peripheral like the Griffin iMic.

The jack itself supports stereo, so I would imagine either way would work, but I don't know.

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
i've been trying to record my guitar through the audio in (guitar-guitar cable-jack/mini jack converter-audio in) with garage band, but it can't seem to pick up any signal

what could i be doing wrong?

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
i've been trying to record my guitar through the audio in (guitar-guitar cable-jack/mini jack converter-audio in) with garage band, but it can't seem to pick up any signal

what could i be doing wrong?

go to preferences> audio/midi then under audio input select built in input. make sure u have a real instrument track selected good luck:)

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
dangit, still nothing coming in signal wise

i know the cable and guitar are fine, tested both earlier

and yes, stereo input is supported

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
I use a program called Soundflower to allow me to record output signals without needing any external hardware, to get around the "only one input/output jack" problem onthe new macbooks.

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
hmm, if anything, i'd at least expect the input to be able to relay an incoming signal to garage band without the need to download third party software

anyone any idea what i could be doing wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.