Audio-in recording on iTouch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by scrappledog, Oct 21, 2008.

1. scrappledog macrumors member

My wife bought me a 1st-gen. 32 gig iTouch for my birthday in July, but as soon as I heard Apple was updating the line (with rumors of audio-in recording) I took it back for a refund.

I'm a reporter and would love my next Touch to replace the glitchy recorder I use now. Any idea on a program and external (non-headset) mic to use? Furthermore, will there eventually be potential for high-quality recording using a split-mic for example? I know it probably won't approach a minidisc recorder ...

Finally, I am usually the kind of person who can wait and wait and wait forever for something, but do those who follow Apple releases consider it worthwhile to wait for the 64 gig or higher versions? How long a wait?

One factor to consider is that we are expecting our first child in May, so after that point I probably won't be buying myself things like iPods for awhile!

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

As most Apple fans know, it doesn't matter how long you wait to buy something, the new one will be released 15 days later... just after the return policy expires... (just kidding, sort of...)

Seriously, who knows? The new ones where just released a month or so ago.

The original Touch was released in Sept 2007. It was updated to 32GB Feb. 2008.

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything before Jan. (Maybe announced at MacWorld and ship in Feb.)

3. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

recording...

Thanks for the advice. Any idea about line-in recording with an external or plug-in bud mic?

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

5. AKmike macrumors newbie

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/dlo-headphone-splitter-for-iphone-and-ipod/

This is what you probably want. I have searched for the same thing and this seems to be the best option. It's a splitter made by DLO that gives you a headphone output on one side and a mic input on the other side. I'm assuming you could plug a nice small condenser mic in and it would sound fine. Then you just need one of the few recording apps/ The one linked by someone else above got pretty bad reviews on Amazon and it only has a built in mic. I would want to be able to use a nicer microphone... not be stuck to that little hands free thing.

...I don't actually have a touch yet. I'm still exploring it's practical functionality for me to see if I can justify spending $400 on an ipod.

6. AKmike macrumors newbie

You know, I don't think that DLO splitter will work the way I was originally thinking. I would have to check, but I don't think a standard microphone 1/8" plug has it's ring in the right spot. If I get one of these I will likely get a cheap headphone/mic, cut it off, and make my own splitter that gives a mic input that will work with a standard 1/8" mic cable. Shouldn't be too hard.