Audio input for Garageband on iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Travisimo, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping to take full advantage of Garageband on my new iPad 2. While it will be fun using the built-in instruments, I'd really like being able to use my own. I've done some searches, only to come up with mixed results.

I'd like to know the best solutions for recording from an external mic and from a digital piano? I have the camera connection kit, but I've read that there are specific requirements due to usb power, etc. Specifically,

What is the best way to hook up an external mic for recording voiceovers and stereo sound from an instrument like a digital piano? I'm no so much concerned about MIDI input, but I would like to do multi-track audio recording using my piano and a vocal microphone.

Solutions? Thanks!

2. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

What outputs does your piano have?

I am also wondering what inputs garageband will allow. Hopefully the iRig will work since I already have one. That would be mainly for electric guitar though.

I'll find out about the iRig later today since GB is supposed to be released today.

3. tomandshell macrumors regular

Says it's for electric guitar or bass. That doesn't help me.

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The adapter will work for a line out from your keyboard, however you will obviously only get mono.

As for a microphone solution, I have been searching for one myself. Ideally a 30-pin to XLR will become available, but you may have to settle for a XLR to 1/8" which won't work in all microphone situations, and impairs your ability to monitor your recordings via headphones.

5. BrennerM macrumors regular

6. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

This one looks great but guitar or bass. But will it work for a keyboard's line-out? It might, but probably mono, right?

Are there any stereo ones out there? Regarding mics, I see that the there's the upcoming iRig Mic:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/10/video-hands-on-with-ik-multimedias-irig-mic-and-vocalive-app/

It says it will work for line-out instruments, but it too appears to be mono-only.

I downloaded Garageband today and installed it on my iPad 1. It's great! I can see myself spending a lot of time with it. Being able to record from my piano/keyboard would really be a killer feature, though.

Also, it doesn't appear you can get the audio output from Garageband to play through the Bluetooth connection... which means either headphones or a long headphone cable to hook up to my stereo system. I wish you could get the audio to play via Airplay - that would be cool but I guess there would probably be a delay...

7. Virtute macrumors member

I was thinking that something with a couple XLR inputs, phantom power, a nice little preamp, and maybe an EQ would be great, add a couple 1/4" inputs on there and you're laughing.

But then I realized how ridiculous that would be. Working with something that big (and likely expensive), why wouldn't I just stick with my high-end gear, as I don't expect to get anything more than quick on-the-spot sketches or demos out of the iPad anyway?

That said, something with a single XLR (+phantom) input and a single 1/4 input would be nice, perfect for guitar and voice––getting an idea down on the spot or recording a live solo performance. I think I'd really like that, actually.