Audio Input Lag on Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rob.G, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug in Logic, or something in my Mac.

When my guitar is plugged into my audio interface (a shiny new 2nd gen Focusrite 6i6), plugged into a USB port in my 27" Thunderbolt display, it will, at various times, start to lag. For example, when I strum the guitar, there will be a 1-2 second delay before I hear it on the Mac in Logic. The fix for this is to quit Logic and reload it.

This happened before back when I had a Peavey Vypyr VIP-1 amp which had a USB output. I had thought maybe it was related to the amp, but now that it's also doing it on my new 6i6, I'm instead wondering if it's Logic or maybe even my Mac.

My computer is a 2013 13" MacBook Pro, i5 2.6 GHz with 16 gig of RAM and a 512 gig SSD. Not the fastest, but hardly a slouch. In addition to Logic, I tend to have a couple of Safari windows, TweetDeck, and maybe iTunes open, but that's about it. And my Logic projects to date are quite small... at most a half dozen tracks, most of which are loops, with one or two recorded from either my guitar or midi keyboard. I'm still very new to all of this. :)

So... what do you think? Logic bug or Mac bug?

Rob

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Have you tried plugging directly into a USB port on your MacBook Pro, rather than through the display?

Ensure both OS X & LPX are fully up to date. Shut down every few days with reopen windows when logging back in disabled/unticked.