Audio inputs on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canedrive, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Canedrive macrumors member

I was just wondering how useable the audio inputs are on the MBP?

Just to give some background...

I'm switching from pc with around 8 years worth of audio projects created in Cubase, but I initially won't be able to afford a decent audio interface. So would the internal soundcard hold up for basic recording and editing?

I'm thinking that Thunderbolt enabled interfaces would be worth waiting for.

Also, is there a preferred application for running Windows for audio software, or does Bootcamp get the job done?

Cheers.

2. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Bootcamp is the best way to run Windows for this sort of application.

Thunderbolt is way over the top powerful for any but the most insane setups (read: 96 channel in/out, that sort of stuff) and Firewire will do there nicely. I don't think you should use the internal sound card for anything that you want to keep (it's not very good) and you should consider an M-audio Transit or something thelike - even a USB sound card will outperform the internal one. Unless you go in with optical, which should be okay, that is!

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I was just wondering how useable the audio inputs are on the MBP?
    I'm switching from pc with around 8 years worth of audio projects created in Cubase, but I initially won't be able to afford a decent audio interface. So would the internal soundcard hold up for basic recording and editing?"

The MBP doesn't have a "soundcard" in the sense that PC's do. It does have sound processing capabilities built in.

If you want to use Cubase, you'll need an external audio interface. I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you choose one that is firewire-based, rather than USB-based. Fewer problems with drivers and much less latency.

There's a digital audio sub-forum right here on macrumors.com.

I like Echo Audio products -- not a lick of trouble from my AudioFire8 interface. You might look into the "AudioFire4", unless you know you need more ins and outs.

I've also heard good things about the Steinberg MR-816 series of interfaces, particularly about their ease-of-integration with Cubase. They're more expensive, though.

By the way, if you don't want to buy an interface right now, you can still use a Mac version of Cubase to import and edit the existing projects you have (it runs just fine without having an interface connected). It -might- make a difference as to -which- version you currently have, you didn't specify.

4. Canedrive thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies fellas. I never realised there was a sub forum for audio so I'll probably be loitering around there from now on!

It sounds like a FireWire interface is the way to go, so I will bare that in mind. For now I just want to mirror my current setup using Cubase 5, but I will possibly make the transition to Logic in the near future. So yeah, no real point in lining Mr Steinberg's pockets any further if I'm going to abandon that platform.

So just for clarification...

For pre-recorded material, there should be no problems or degradation in sound quality using the internal processing with editing and arranging?