Audio interface for 15" MBP Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ian m, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ian m macrumors newbie

A couple weeks ago I got a brand new MBP Retina for free and I'm just pumped about it. That is, until last night when I wanted to record some stuff in Garageband and noticed there's no line-in input. I read up online and it looks like it's a discontinued feature on these machines (Crazy how they can integrate all this new technology, but it comes at the cost of things like the line-in and optical drives which have been standards on MB laptops for years).

So I'm looking for a good audio interface for Garageband recordings. For years I just plugged direct into the computer for demos, so it's not like I'm using it for professional-level recordings. Still, I figure this is an opportunity to improve my sound. Any suggestions are welcome!

2. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

A long time ago I used to use a dongle device by Griffin called an iMic. Pretty cheap and worked well.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Something like a Line 6 UX1 would be a good piece to start with. It's a USB input with options for a microphone and guitar jack. Check it out.

4. ian m thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, I think the guitarist of my band has one of those. It's definitely a cool interface.

But are USB interfaces usually that expensive? As of right now it's a bit out of my price range.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

They range from a little less than $100 to more than $500 and up. The UX1 is around $150. I think you may like a GX from Line6, but there are so many other brands and models.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I would recommend a Focusrite Scarlett, they are professional with a relatively low price tag. Then you'll be future proofed with your sound quality without going overboard on budget.