Audio Interface --> Powered Monitors, mono or stereo?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Bradalogical, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Bradalogical macrumors newbie

I know this is probably painfully obvious to the majority of you, and it really should be to me, however my current set up doesn't really help me much.

Soon to be having a new firewire audio interface delivered and am looking into cables to connect my powered monitors and the interface, simply; do i want mono cables (be it jack to jack, jack to xlr etc) or stereo cables? Seeing as I'll have one cable for each side (left and right) logic tells me mono cables would be the way to go but I just can't find anything concrete to tell me one way or the other! Would mono give me the true stereo left and right or would stereo cables be the way to go? Maybe it doesn't make any difference!?

I don't know... All i know is that I don't wanna order cables to then return them when i've bought the wrong ones!

Thanks for any help.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

You want balanced cables. 1 for each channel. and the ends are dependent on what your interface and speakers have.
    A common set up would use 1/4" TRS to XLR

the whole mono or stereo cable thing isn't REALLY valid.

3. Bradalogical thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the aim is to go 1/4" TRS (out of the interface, apogee duet) to XLR into my KRK RP5s.

I only ask because most of the companies I'm looking at do both stereo and mono versions - though if it's TRS then I guess stereo it is.

Thanks for the help.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well, TRS can be mono balanced, or stereo unbalanced.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The outputs on the duet are unbalanced. Balanced cables will still do the job though.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

You really would be best off using TS cables out of the un-balanced audio interface. These will be two conductor cables with the ground (and signal return) in the shield.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

are they really? ouch!

8. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85