Audio Interface problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SeanR2, Jan 23, 2012.

1. SeanR2 macrumors newbie

Hi.

Got a Tascam US-1641 audio interface which my MB pro has trouble detecting. Sometimes it's absolutely fine and will work all day, other (most) times it flicks from on to off again in the Tascam control panel. Takes ages looking for it and freezes the mac in the process, then fails to load. Tried different orders of booting up - mac first or unit first, and have downloaded version 2 driver. Using usb2 cable. Couldn't seem to download firmware from Tascam site- mac crashes every time!

Any help very gratefully received!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Does the interface have its own power source, or is it "pulling power" through the USB cable?

My thought is that perhaps the MacBook's USB port isn't putting out enough bus power to get the interface up and running.

Workarounds would be to use the interface's own power supply (if one is provided), or to use a 3rd-party "power brick" (if there is an input for one), or, to use a powered USB hub between the MacBook and the interface.

Of course, the problem could be something completely different….

3. SeanR2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. The interface does have its own power supply which I always use. I'll look into the powered USB hub though- thats a new one on me!