Audio interface recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by flyinhigh, Sep 19, 2014.

1. flyinhigh macrumors member

Hi. I'm looking to re-setup my home studio. I was for years working on a G5/mbox2mini/protools 7.4LE. I'm on a 2010 Imac now running Mavericks. My need is to record guitar (line-in) and vocals (condenser mic) and to produce audio works for radio and to have my studio monitors working again. I'm leaving Protools, can't afford the latest versions and it provides more than what I need. The entry level Fast Track Duo is in my opinion under par. Planning to work in Garageband ftm and to keep my options open on software. After a good interface that meets my needs well but not overkill, under $300. There are a few that have caught my interest, Behringers Uphoria UM204. But on further research, seems people have had problems installing it. I'm aware to, to be sure of compatibility with Mavericks. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Here are two that do exactly what you ask for

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

watch the video of the guy kicking the audio box around and read the captions all the way to the end.

Behringers has a not so great reputation while the two above are top tier. Some people will subjecting moving all the way up to Apogee but (1) They use the exact some chip as the much less expensive Safire box and the two above I listed don't need dongles and have one knob per function, MUCH better ergonomics than Apogee.

3. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Chris

Great advice and thanks for the recommendations. The Focusrite did have my attention at one point but hadn't come across the Presonus. Online reviews favour the Presonus for value for $. A few serious complaints about the Focusrite. One thing I'm not sure of that you might be able to help me with is I found out the only real complaint against the Presonus is that doesn't have a line level input. I'm not sure of the ramifications of this. I'm wanting to plug in my acoustic guitars. One has a pick-up the other has a built in mic. Does this mean I won't be able to plug in my acoustic guitar with pickup successfully? Thanks, you've been a great help. Enjoyed the video! And thanks for the links. Tim

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ I'm leaving Protools, can't afford the latest versions and it provides more than what I need. ]]

Hmmmm... does the version of ProTools that you have now even launch under Mavericks?

I'm thinking that if it was a PowerPC version of PT that ran on the g5, that it won't run on an Intel-only Mac like you now have.

I could be wrong...

5. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

For tracking, Moving from Protools into GarageBand will be nightmare, ProTools is so so so much better for tracking.

Get the cheapest mBox they are doing, good Mic Pre's, plus PT10/11

6. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

Yep Fishrrman. Won't launch in Mavericks. I could get an update for $300 and a lot of time online but still wouldn't have an interface.
    Simon, cheapest mbox they are doing in Australia comes with Protools express. Research and advice has tells me the mbox is a little disappointing and that other interfaces at the same price level, even cheaper provide better pre-amps and a quick setup and go. The Focusrite Scarlett 214 has got my interest at the moment. But you've got me reconsidering again. I do like Protools but my projects are small. Seems there is more available in something like Garageband than in an Express version of Protools. Appreciate all your feedback. Still considering all options.

7. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

I am a die hard Protools 7 user, and still use it daily for all my work.

The new versions of Protools, even the express are still pretty good, unless you are worried about the Track Count.

Garageband or Logic X do work fairly well though, just personally not a fan of either.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Read the specs: http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications

Those are "combo" input jacks that take either XLR or 1/4 inch TRS and can accept line level, direct input from a guitar or a microphone

The BEST way to evaluate an audio interface is to download the user manual. It will have the full specs and tell you what you can plug into it.

As for "value", the two I listed are the same price.