Audio Interface Suggestions for Garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by nickf182, Nov 2, 2010.

1. nickf182 macrumors newbie

I've been doing some research on Audio Interfaces for Garageband to record 8 tracks (mic, guitar, bass, drums, etc) at the same time at the most. I'm new to this, so I've gotten confused with all of the different channels and inputs and everything. Could somebody suggest me a 6-8 input audio interface that will do this for me in Garageband for around $200-$250 at the most?

2. mpdonlanjr macrumors newbie

most audio interface's that are in that price range aren't going to be able to do 6-8 channels you'll get at most 2 xlr inputs and 4 unbalanced 1/4 inch inputs to hook guitar interfaces and keyboards up to.

if you want 6-8 i recommend going with firewire interface but thats going to cost you around 400-500 the presonus firepod is a great device that has great pre-amps and very easy to interface with garageband.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

From what you are saying, I think your mean you want 6-8 microphone inputs, not just 6-8 audio inputes. "audio input" is a more general term that includes both mic-inputs and line level inputs. You can fin3 6 input boxes for $250 but a box with 6 mic inputs.

The mic input is actually just line the line-in but it will have in addtion a mic preamp, phantom power and an XLR jack plus a knob to control the gain. That parts add a bit to the price. I'd say you should expect to pay between $500 and $800. If this sounds like a lot have you figure out what 6-8 good mics is going to cost? The interface is cheap compared to that

Look at interface boxes like this
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuProj/

4. lethalillness macrumors member

I say go for the Profire 2626 which has 26 inputs and 26 outputs, 8 of the inputs are mic pres and it's also ProTools compatible which is good if you want to upgrade to something a bit more professional. They go for about $700 but doing some research and/or waiting for sales you'll be able to pick it up cheaper or with some cash back options. Good luck.

5. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

That's a good suggestion. I have a PreSonus FP10 FireWire interface and I love it. It works seamlessly with Garage Band or Logic.

6. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I have been looking at the profire 2626 myself to record my drumset. Is it compatible with garageband? Will it do individual multitrack? That is my biggest question before I purchase it. Can anyone answer this?