Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supaklaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
NYC
Running XP 64-bit pro on a Mac Pro 2008 in bootcamp.

I am trying to use a USB headset with a mic, and use my speakers for primary audio (yamaha sound stick via optical SDIF out).... I plugged in my generic Gigaware headset from Radio Shack, and on the volume control panel, it shows some data regarding it (c-audio blah blah) and the volume settings for it in the options. The other 3 options were Realtek audio In, Realtek Audio out, Realtek digital audio out.

The audio out cuts out, from the game or apps to the speakers, working fine on the headset. I run the Realtek control panel, and the surround test still plays through the speakers, but no app's sound will. Once I yanked the USB and rebooted, I got audio back (but not until rebooting). Is it a PC thing where a controller determines either headphones or speakers but not both... or is the headset I have doing this silliness?

Any suggestion appreciated.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The driver determines that. Try to update the usb headset driver. I think USB headsets usually takes over both input and output functions and you might have to see if you can make changes in the driver.

Much easier with an analogue headset as you can just plug in the microphone portion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.