Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Future Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I am using iTunes 3 on 10.1.5 on a DP 533 and I have been noticing that after a while of playing music the sound quality degrades. I have also noticed that upon restart of the comp (not just iTunes) that sound quality is restored.

I am using a Yamaha TSS-1 speaker system, buy I don't think that is the problem because that works fine all the time in os9. I saw some schematics the other day that put the sound codec right before the audio out port. Is there a way to replace or reinstall the codec that iTunes uses for playback?

Thanks so much.
:)

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I've noticed that every once in a while in iTunes, my music will have a short skip, or buzz in the music. It's since disappeared in OS 10.2, (6c115), but I was wondering if anyone noticed it in 10.1.5.

-pete

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Well, iTunes is not 100% stable. About the sound degradation, sounds like some problem with the audio buffer, try deleting the iTunes preferences, if not, install the iTunes 2 and that is it, there is not difference between the two versions.

The problems I have with iTunes is a bit different, the software doesn't reconize the Audio Media 3 card, it did once or twice but if I select the AM3 output and the I open up iTUnes the MP3 songs doesn't play, the cursor doesn't move, not even with AIFF files. Some one at Digidesign told me that it is a ramdom problem depending of the computer.

Future Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks guys, I am going to give it a good reinstall this weekend sometime. I have had strange audio issues with my ever since I got it. I love it to death mind you, and the issues have never been crippling. But there is one audio hardware issue that my Mac has I am curious about. On the built in sound card (attached to the motherboard) there are two inputs: headphone on top and one that has a little speaker by it on bottom. The headphone jack is a mini, but the one below it is smaller than a mini. A regular mini doesn't fit...?! Am I missing something? I just plug speakers into the headphone jack and all is fine. Is this a fluke or an audio input I don't know about?

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Future Man
The headphone jack is a mini, but the one below it is smaller than a mini. A regular mini doesn't fit...?! Am I missing something? I just plug speakers into the headphone jack and all is fine. Is this a fluke or an audio input I don't know about?

The speaker port you speak of is for the Apple Pro Speakers. They are smaller than the mini-jacks for headphones, etc.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
has anyone seen a converter for the apple speaker mini jack to a normal size jack? i would probably pay more than $20 for just a simple little converter to make my whole system work the way it's supposed to.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
ok here's the deal...those of you with apple pro speakers may be able to answer this...is the apple mini-jack just a standard 1/32" jack? cause if it is, there is a small plug converter at radioshack for $3...but i didn't want to buy it and just try...or is it different than standard jacks?

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
hi, this is my first post

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
ok here's the deal...those of you with apple pro speakers may be able to answer this...is the apple mini-jack just a standard 1/32" jack? cause if it is, there is a small plug converter at radioshack for $3...but i didn't want to buy it and just try...or is it different than standard jacks?

I am a mac newbie (just switched from the dark side a few months ago - fp iMac - followed by a 20GB iPod and 3 hours in line for 10.2 at Mall of America)

Anyway, when I got my new iMac I tried plugging in something other than the Apple Pro Speakers into its jack, and it instantly recognized it and told me it wasn't my Apple Pro Speakers...I read somewhere that the plug-in is Pro Speaker specific and there's a chip or something inside that recognizes only the speakers.

Sorry, I am not as tech savvy as others, so that is probably a bad description, but I am trying!

(oops) just noticed that this may be slightly off-topic...sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.