Audio Jack Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aizaz123, Oct 29, 2015.

1. aizaz123 macrumors newbie

aizaz123

my mac audio jack is not working .when i put headphone aux in mac no red light appears but the sound is muted my mac:
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
    1.4 GHz Intel Core i5

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Not sure which red light you are talking about. But have you tried holding the alt-key while klikking on the Volume icon in the menubar and checking that input and output devices is correct?

3. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I had a similar problem once, and resetting the SMC solved the problem. Can't remember the exact procedure, but do what I did and google it.

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I have fixed this with a couple of different techniques. Sometimes the system gets confused so I plug and unplug headphones. Just yesterday I had an HDMI monitor with no speakers plugged in. After awhile the system redirected the sound to HDMI, and so there was nothing. SysPref-Sounds helped diagnose and fix that one. Also, I gave up on utilities such as Soundflower -- for me it caused more problems than it helped.

5. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Try this:

I made this app to get around an issue where the headphones get recognized only after putting laptop into sleep and waking it up afterwards, but it could work for you as well. Worth a try at least.

Attached Files:

6. adrianenns macrumors newbie

adrianenns

Check past threads - it's a hardware issue - you've got a little ball switch that's jammed up in the audio jack. Jam a pen refill (the back of the refill! The plastic tube is the perfect size) into the audio jack gently but firmly - push it firmly until it stops. Pull out. Should be good to go first or second try. Dust/debris gets in there, likely due to the fan pulling air into the computer, and keeps the digital out switch pushed in (I believe it's on the top of the inside of the audio port). You can try an air cleaner too - that's worked for some people, or the back of a matchstick, the stick of a q-tip, but the pen refill of a regular BIC pen seems to work the best!

7. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Workaround: get a Bluetooth headset. Once you get used to not being tied up in cables, you won't go back.

8. adrianenns macrumors newbie

adrianenns

That's all fine and good - but it doesn't require cables to use your own macbook speakers - that's the issue here - the macbook built-in speakers will not work when this issue arises.

9. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Hmm that's a good one. But perhaps it can be remedied by selecting the sound output device in the System Properties.

Still a workaround, though. Fixing it is preferable.