Audio Latency when (un)plugging in Headphones?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phnord, Jan 1, 2010.

1. phnord macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have an issue that happens with my Macbook Pro. In certain applications, if I plug in my headphones - or unplug them, switching to speaker - from that point on the rest of the audio that the application outputs is delayed by about half-a-second.

Now I could be talking-out-of-my-ass here, but this seems to *only* happen with applications that would be accessing the audio hardware through a more basic layer than the standard CoreAudio methods. For instance, it occurs in REAPER and Parallels, but not in Quicktime or iTunes.

Does anyone know why this happens, or if there is a way to fix it? I find that if it does happen, if I can get the application to close the hardware and reopen it this fixes it. For instance, in Parallels I switch to a dummy output and then back, and it's fixed.

Thanks!

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

So, are you complaining about a half second delay when switching between speakers and headphones or opposite?

3. phnord thread starter macrumors newbie

No - you misunderstand the problem that I'm describing. I'm saying that it introduces what seems to be a half-second latency in the audio buffer thereafter.

For instance, let's say I was using Parallels and playing a movie in it. Then I unplug my headphones. All audio from that point forward would be delayed by half-a-second - it would be out-of-sync with the video.

Additionally, this effect is cumulative. For instance, if I then plugged my headphones back in the audio would then be out-of-sync with the video by a full second. If I unplugged it again, 1.5 seconds of lag would be present, etc.

Sorry if that was a little vague earlier.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Ah, much more clear, I have never heard of this. So, im guessing this doesnt happen in OSX or bootcamp? Also, which version of parallels and have you updated lately. It most likely sounds like a Parallels problem, for which I dont know what to tell you bedsides contact parallels support. They've been helpful in the past. Apart from that advice, all i can think of is reinstall and see what happens.