Audio line out no longer works

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gusmahler, Oct 25, 2011.

1. gusmahler macrumors member

How do I trouble shoot the audio line out? It was working this morning. I got back home and it doesn't work. Headphone output works fine, but I get nothing out of the audio line out. I know the speakers are fine because I'm playing my iPhone through it right now.

Really disappointed with the build quality of the Mac Pro. Haven't even had it for a year. First the headphone port flakes out on me (then mysteriously starts working again a few months later. Now the line out port stops working.

2. pprior macrumors 65816

Not sure what year yours is, but I had a mac pro a generation ago that developed a flaky audio output - at first if I pulled the cord at a slight angle toward the side it would work, but would crackle if it moved. After awhile I had a tech examine the unit and it actually turned out that the audio jack was out of spec size-wize. I had another logic board put in and amazingly it had the same problem. Apple then gave me a new machine (next generation) at no cost.

I was initially disgusted, but then amazed at how they handled it.

It's a bit unlikely you have the problem I had, but check it. Obviously you checked the sound settings?

3. gusmahler thread starter macrumors member

Reset the computer and it works now. Really odd.