Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OK119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Back on the Mac before OSX 10.3.5 I could select in Audio MIDI Setup the clock source for digital audio. Specifically I could select external or internal. On external the Mac would clock from the digital audio it was receiving at the s/pdif digital input.

But now I cannot select clock to external. Can't see it or find it in Audio MIDI setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dean

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Back on the Mac before OSX 10.3.5 I could select in Audio MIDI Setup the clock source for digital audio. Specifically I could select external or internal. On external the Mac would clock from the digital audio it was receiving at the s/pdif digital input.

But now I cannot select clock to external. Can't see it or find it in Audio MIDI setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dean

Hmm. I'm on the last Tiger build and I can choose external in the clock source section.
OSX's known to mess up these days with the spdf input/output. Is your mac recognising the digital input, ie the sound?

OK119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I have an iMac (Intel) running Tiger 10.4.11 and when I have a digital input to this Mac I can see the signal is going in on the input meter in the iMac. But the clock source "default" is greyed out. But it must be clocking to this audiio... I figure... otherwise it would not sync to it. When I remove this input I cannot select external/digital clocking. When I connect a firewire digital audio interface and select properties for it I can select clocking for it either internal or digital.

But my real problem is on a Mac Pro running Leopard 10.5.3. On this Mac it seems to me that I cannot select external or digital clocking under any conditions.

And I am wondering if a change has been from Tiger to Leopard such that there is no option to select digital/external clocking for audio. That is the crux of my question?

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
I have an iMac (Intel) running Tiger 10.4.11 and when I have a digital input to this Mac I can see the signal is going in on the input meter in the iMac. But the clock source "default" is greyed out. But it must be clocking to this audiio... I figure... otherwise it would not sync to it. When I remove this input I cannot select external/digital clocking. When I connect a firewire digital audio interface and select properties for it I can select clocking for it either internal or digital.

But my real problem is on a Mac Pro running Leopard 10.5.3. On this Mac it seems to me that I cannot select external or digital clocking under any conditions.

And I am wondering if a change has been from Tiger to Leopard such that there is no option to select digital/external clocking for audio. That is the crux of my question?

Wow, that's crazy. What happens to those options when you connect the firewire interface to it? Do you get an external option?

OK119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Right when I connect Digi 002 to the Tiger OS X system it allows the selection of either internal or digital/external clocking. It seems this selection is for the interface. (?)

But when I remove the interface and have a TOSLINK digital signal going into the iMac I have a grayed out clock source selection. I cannot select external. But it must be..? Cause it clocks right..? But the TOSLINK output is not clocking the same as the input so it seems the Mac is not clocking itself to what it sees at the TOSLINK input.

I want the Mac to clock to an external digital audio source (a source that is clocking correctly to other digital audio in my studio) so that I can play digital audio out of this Mac and it be clocking correctly to these other digital audio signals in my studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.