Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter202

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Corby, United Kingdom
Ive got problems with audio in FCP. I thought it might have just been when editing.. but thats not the case. To test this i imported an mp3 into FCP at played it back, in places its choppy. I even exported the project and the .mov file had the same glitches. And the glitches in the audio are always at the same point in the timeline everytime you repeat playback.

Has anyone had the same or similar experience? Or know how to solve this please help..

Below is a shot of one of the glitches
Glitch.png

Thanks

peter202

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Corby, United Kingdom
I have found one solution. If i import into SoundTrack Pro first to decompress the mp3 then save that I can import into FCP and have glitch free audio..

If there something i can do in FCP to save time that would be cool..

Any suggestions?

cppnerd

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2007
Like already suggested, I would first try using uncompressed audio and see if the problem remains. 99% of the time it is a flaw in the encoding/decoding process that causes oddities and artifacts in audio workflows. If you are doing anything besides audio playback in a jukebox application (like iTunes), you really should keep your audio in an uncompressed format like suggested above (AIFF or WAV will do the trick).

However, having said that--don't forget:
When you are converting audio formats, make sure your sample and bit rates are going to be compatible with your software. In addition, make sure if you are mixing or matching pieces of audio that they are identical in format. Many audio apps will freak out if you try to mix 44.1/16 with 48/24 (for one example), so check your conversion settings when you do this.

peter202

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Corby, United Kingdom
ok so the problem is the decompression of the mp3s.. it just annoys me how i havent had this problem with imovie before. and FCP not even an express version of FC is having problems with it :confused:

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
ok so the problem is the decompression of the mp3s.. it just annoys me how i havent had this problem with imovie before. and FCP not even an express version of FC is having problems with it :confused:

FCP is a professional application - it's developers apparently assumed a user wouldn't be using highly compressed audio files in a consumer MP3 format. iMovie is a consumer app so it was designed to accept the consumer MP3 format natively.

FCP works best when the files you import or capture match your Sequence settings exactly. For most projects, that would mean importing or capturing audio in AIFF format at 48khz, 16 bit. If all you have available is an MP3 version, convert it to the proper format PRIOR to importing into your FCP project. You can use QuickTime Pro, iTunes and several other programs for that purpose.

-DH

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Bias "Peak Pro" is a pretty good app for Converting MP3's and is also great for modifing gain, as it has ClipGuard to determine the maximum possible gain without distortion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.