Audio not working without headphones

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by b33eazy, Aug 26, 2012.

1. b33eazy macrumors member

I have a 2007 Macbook that has Snow Leopard on it. The audio works just fine with the headphones in and I can hear the chime sound from the speakers when I turn it on, but that's it.. I tried to reboot it and fix the permissions so far, but I have had no luck. Also, I should mention that inside the headphone jack is red all of a sudden.But the audio works just fine with the headphones inside.. I also tried plugging in the headphones and plugging them out, but that hasn't worked either.. Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

Remove the 3.5 mm plug you use to connect the speakers to the Mac from the Mac's audio out port, and see, if there is a red light. If so, repeatedly plug and unplug the 3.5 mm connector until the light goes away, as the red light is the indicator of the digital, optical audio out being enabled, and sometimes it just gets stuck.
    Check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

[​IMG]

3. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

The headphone port is listed as the output and I tried pluging the headphones in and out but the light is still red.. is there another way to fix it or do I just keep pluging it in and out.. Also, I tried safe boot and fix permissions as well, didn't work.

4. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

Ok, got it working.. By wiggling it out but is there a more permenant fix for it cuz it happened again so had to do same thing again to fix it..