Audio notes in Office 2011 records static

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tom Foolery, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I've been playing around with the 6th beta of office 2011. I've been trying to record some lectures when in notebook view. the first lecture i recorded worked perfectly, although it did skip a few minutes for some unknown reason. the second lecture i recorded came up with only static.

I have absolutely no Idea why, same settings as before. I tested it when I got home and it recorded my voice fine.

any Suggestions

2. martijnboersma macrumors newbie

I recorded 2 hours of notes with Microsoft Office Word 2011 and have ended up with a 1.36GB file that only plays static.

I set the recording options in Word to:

Audio: AIFF
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample Size: 16 bit
    Sample Rate: 48 khz

The file info states that the format is: AIFF-C Audio.

I did some research online and found that the "... sound quality of standard AIFF and AIFF-C/sowt are identical, and the data can be converted back and forth without loss. Users of older audio applications, however, may find that an AIFF-C/sowt file will not play, or will prompt the user to convert the format on opening, or will play as static."

I've tried playing the file with the latest version of VLC player, iTunes and Quicktime however, but to no avail. I have also tried to convert the file with iTunes to other format, as well as with DBpowerAmp on my PC, but this did not make a difference: the file still plays static.

The built-in microphone on my Macbook worked fine on other occasions, also whilst recording with Word.

Any pointers, or is the file simply corrupt?