Audio on MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bking1000, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook and an iMac. For a number of reasons, I might drop the iMac and go w/ just the laptop. However, if I do that, I might also want to move up from the macbook to a pro.

Here's a silly question, though: are the speakers and audio on the Pro much louder/clearer than that on a MacBook. I play a lot of music through my iMac, and if I got rid of it, then I'd really be losing something, as I think the audio on a macbook is pretty weak compared to the iMac. Are MBPs much better than MB? Are the comparable to iMacs?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ive only ever had a g5 imac and no the macbook pro is no where near as good as the g5 was

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

No, the internal speakers of MBP are good enough only for systems alert sounds, and voice based audio.

4. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea, the speakers are nothing great. I think they are better than most PC speakers but thats not saying much. I believe if you get the 17" MBP, the speakers are a bit better.

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Normally I plug the MBP in to my stereo but the speakers are okay.

They obviously aren't going to blow you away but they are fairly loud and a good standard quality.

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

The built-in speakers of the MBP (and any laptop for that matter) don't come close to the built-in speakers of the current iMacs - no bass, no depth to the sound. But, as mentioned above, when I'm home I'm plugged into the stereo and on the road I'm using headphones or earbuds. The audio quality output is really decent.

7. kousuke18 macrumors regular

The speakers on the macbook pro are MUCH better than the ones on the macbook in terms of loudness and clarity. However, they are still very much inferior to the speakers on other laptops such as HP, and Sony so don't expect too much. I recommend purchasing some separate 2.1 speakers either from logitech, or creative to plug into the macbook pro.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I just wish I could get the volume to turn up louder on the MBP.

9. ryanrul macrumors member

... and the headphone out jack on the MBP is notoriously noisy. I've had 4 MBPs and the headphone out on every one of them has been so full of static, and blips and noises that it's been pretty much useless for even basic iTunes listening.

10. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

The speakers are one of the best in the laptop imo. I can say for the 17" not sure about the 15"

If I recall.... sometime ago it was said to be Harmon Kardon speakers.