Audio only of video podcasts removed?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rudetrooper, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Rudetrooper macrumors newbie

3G iPhone

In the past, when selected from the podcast tab, I was able to listen to only the audio of video podcasts. This was a great way to conserve battery life.

Today video podcasts play the video and the the screen must remain on when playing. Is their a way to listen to the audio only or turn of the screen to save battery life?

2. UKmacman macrumors regular

Don't know about that but are you able to download video podcasts directly to your iphone? If so how? Please!

3. Rudetrooper thread starter macrumors newbie

No my issue on related to video podcast already on the iPhone.

4. minhaferzz macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing this same exact problem and I have no idea how to get this functionality to work again. I use this quite a bit and miss it.

5. inthepocket macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got the same issue here on the original iPhone running 2.0 firmware. This feature is/was incredibly helpful in that you could use other apps while listening to the audio of video podcasts. Now the podcasts turn off when navigating out of iPod mode or putting the phone to sleep.

I've started a similar thread in the Apple.com Discussions forum, please post there as well to help bring this to Apple's attention that we need this feature back.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1617076&tstart=0

I hope this is remedied soon as it represents a step back in usability of the iPhone.

6. inthepocket macrumors newbie

Just spoke to Apple Support. They requested I do a restore to see if that fixes the issue. I'm thinking it highly unlikely but can't test that till later tonight.

7. inthepocket macrumors newbie

And as expected the iPhone restore did not address the issue. It appears this issue is far from a hot topic but likely universal.

8. rob7erto macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and hope Apple will fix this. The above linked Apple Support thread offers a helpful word around, though:

play the video
    put the ipod to sleep
    double click the home button to bring up the iPod controls
    when you click play, just the audio from the video podcast will play.

I have submitted feedback to Apple to restore the previous functionality.