Audio/Optical output splitter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, May 16, 2011.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'd like to be able to connect my MBP's audio output via the analogue output and the digital optical output at the same time (sending the analogue to normal stereo speakers and the digital optical output to my surround sound system at the same time - any idea if there's any cable or gadget that will enable me to do this? Or is the MBP only capable of feeding one type of audio signal (analogue/digital) at one time??

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The Macbook Pro 1x Digital/Analogue in the 13" and 2x Digital/Analogue in the 15" and 17". I dont think it is easy to do with the basic setup however as i understand audio ports they have presets but can be forced to output/input as desired (atleast in Desktops). It should therefore be possible to do but don't quote me on it I am not 100% on it.

Google is your friend, just lookup two outputs on a Macbook Pro at the same time, i don't think digital/analogue will be a problem.

3. negatv1 macrumors 6502

not sure if the optical output would still work if the analog was in use (and vice versa), but worst case scenario could get a usb audio adapter in addition to the 3.5inch jack.

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Okay, thanks for the advice guys, I will try that... the other option is that my home theatre system also has an optical OUT as well as in, so maybe I could take the out back to my desktop speakers, but I'd assume I'd need to purchase some sort of optical to analogue convertor rather than just a cable.....??