Audio-out glows red but no digital sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MattKL, Nov 26, 2008.

1. MattKL macrumors newbie

Like so many others my MB audio out port constantly glows red. Unlike all the other posts I can find: (eg http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-232084.html), my internal speakers DO work and my regular headphones DO work also. The only thing that DOES NOT work is the ability to play music on my stereo via digital toslink out.

Ever since buying the MB new, I think I can recall the port glowing red. Only once did I ever have the internal speakers fail to work and a wiggling a Qtip in the audio port fixed it just like so many others have experienced. While doing that I can see my audio preferences option switch between Internal Speakers and Digital Audio, so I know the contact switch works. However, no matter what I do, the laser is always on. I also reset the PRAM, NVRAM and SMU.

It was only today that I got a mini-toslink adapter that allows me to plug into my home stereo via optical cable and discovered no sound on stereo via digital audio. I duplicated the test with my MBP, all works as it should so I know the cable and stereo are good. But I want the MB to be my home theater source, so want to get this resolved. Anybody have any ideas?

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

3. MattKL thread starter macrumors newbie

White MB, 2.0 GHz Core2Duo, circa early 2007

4. Your5335 macrumors member

From past posts. A glowing red port means that your port is not working right or is broken. Try a Apple Genius or maybe someone there can figure it out.