Audio Out Of A Browser Via Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BibiMac, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BibiMac macrumors newbie

I play music from iTunes out of my laptop to my home audio system via the airport network I have setup in my home. In iTunes, there is a pulldown menu in the bottom right corner which enables you to select: computer or whatever airport base station it detects.

How do I get the audio to play out of Firefox (or any browser) to the airport network similarly? I can't find such a selection in the browser preferences or Mac system preferences anywhere.

Yes...you guessed right, I just discovered Pandora.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

AirTunes is available only in iTunes. However, AirFoil ($25) will do the job for you. They do have a free trial.

3. BibiMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the laptop I use for music is on 10.3.9 and it looks like Airfoil is for 10.4.0 and higher.

Do you know of any similar apps for the older os?

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I have a crazy idea for this and I've almost got it working.

Here's the strategy: turn your Mac's output into a ShoutCast internet radio stream, which can be played in iTunes and therefore through AirTunes. I've got everything working except that iTunes currently can't connect to the self-made stream for some reason.

This scheme involves installing Soundflower, which routes the system audio output to Audion, an old but functional app that pushes a ShoutCast stream to a localhost instance of a ShoutCast server you can run on the Mac, which then broadcasts the stream, which iTunes can pick up.

Now if only I can get iTunes to cooperate, I can confirm the setup as working and post more detailed instructions.

EDIT: I actually got it to work, but only with streaming an actual file, not streaming just audio output. So unless someone here knows how to work a ShoutCast server better than I do (hint: I just learned how tonight ;))... this scheme appears too haphazard to be reliable at the moment.