Audio out pop/crackling in car and iPhone 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PatrickNSF, Sep 29, 2014.

1. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Has anyone experienced any audio pop/crackling with the iPhone 6+ using audio out through the lightning port in their car?

Have hooked up our iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ and iPad mini with the lightning connector to the audio input of the car (via USB) and we're getting consistent pops/crackling with the 6+. When we use bluetooth streaming with the 6+ the pop/crackling goes away. (The sound quality in the car with all devices is better through the lightning connector, so that's our preferred setup.)

I thought that we possibly had a defective iPhone 6+, but then I tried it in two of our iHome clock radios and there's no audible pop/crackling when getting audio through the lightning port.

I also thought maybe something with the iPhone 6+ radios was causing the interference, but I tried it in airplane mode this morning and I"m still getting the pop/crackling.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

2. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

Yes but not using lightning port.

I get the popping sound though the audio jack connected to a tape deck adaptor.

The iPhones prior didn't have this problem. But my 6 Plus creates such interference that the sound, music and podcasts, actually cut out, and you can't hear anything but the noise. It's not like it's over what's playing it 100% interferes.

It happens more in the morning and during the day. It does not seem to happen after sunset. I plan on making a recording. It is very disrupting. It would be impossible to listen to an audio book in the car.

I thought it might be when it changes cell towers, you know, the hand-shake. It seems to happen at the same place on the road, and not related to time. The pattern is predictable. It also seems to happen more when driving under power lines.

In the past, on some phones you can hear dit-dit-dit, that cell phones make, especially over FM adaptors. This goes away when using the AUX port. But this is not like that. This is more like 50/60 Hz buzzing static and pops.