Audio output for calls deliberately reduced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Serelus, May 12, 2015.

1. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Has anyone else noticed that whenever you play, a video or music during a phone call. The quality of sound is very poor? This is with headphones and without. I don't get why the phone doesn't switch to higher quality, and even if it can't why is the quality of a phone call this bad in the first place?

I know for a fact that the quality of audio can be better, because as soon as you hang up the call, the iPhone switches to high quality audio again.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

What do you mean by playing music or video during a call?

3. Serelus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I have conferences for work that state it is mandatory for me to call in, my attendance however isn't really required, so I basically just call in and put the call on hold and go to the home screen and maybe listen some spotify.

However doing this, -- and you can test this yourself -- severely reduces the quality of the audio output, to any speaker including headphones. My question is why can't I listen to music in high quality when the phone call is both muted and not providing any output?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm guessing that it's just not a normal usage scenario. Send feedback to Apple.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

5. Serelus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Serelus

It's not so much a problem as it is an annoyance when I have a conference call, and I've been having a lot of those lately, so it kind of manifested into a curiosity as to why this is even the case.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

That happens because it's easier to filter out your music, so the others don't hear your music. The speakers and the microphone are very close to each other.