Audio Output from a mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Imaginethe, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Imaginethe macrumors regular

Hi,

As I've written a few times in these forums I'm going to get an iMac when they are out. i am going to be connecting to my sound system via 3.5m from the mac.

I do have a question, is it possible to only divert sound for lets say iTunes out to those, but keep all the standard mac sounds etc coming through the inbuilt speakers?

I ask this as my Speakers will not be sat surrounding my mac as you would normally, this purely for music across the aprartment (which being in the UK isn't that big).

Or is it not possible? Or more suited to airplay via an Airport express?

Thanks

2. RedCroissant Suspended

It definitely is possible, but not solely through the audio output alone since that would automatically divert all sound through the speakers. I would recommend an airport express which you can plug in your 3.5mm jack into and then use those speakers through iTunes. All other sound will play normally through the iMac speakers.

Sorry about this since you asked the question in your post and I did a bad job of copying and pasting. So yes, airplay via Airport express.

3. Imaginethe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. I thought airplay maybe the way to go. Shame really would have liked a wired setup for my music. No idea why. But one less cable from my mac (when I get) it is not bad at all.

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I have grown to hate wires and thanks to my 2009 iMac being what it is, I have slowly started getting rid of things that require wires or using the wireless functions of those devices. I am even upgrading my HDD in my iMac because I am tired of using an external to house all my media.

Now if only Apple made a combo modem/router, that would be something else I would buy to avoid extra cables( even if it is only one).

5. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

You don't need an Airport Express if the music thing is all you need it for. Assuming the amp/speakers are within cable range of the iMac you can use something like the Griffin iMic, or another other cheap USB external sound card. They cost a few quid (mine was about £15 many years ago) and I use it for a driving a headset - I have it set so that all sound from Skype/iChat etc like phone calls and video chats goes to the USB soundcard (and thus my headphones) while iTunes and other system sounds go to my main amp.

With one of these you could set it up so that system sounds came out of the internal speakers (set this up in System Preferences > Sound) and then set the default sound output device to be the USB sound card thing you plug in (iTunes on OS X will only send sound to the default sound output device in OS X as far as I know, except for the special case of sending sound to an Airport Express which is slightly different).

If anyone knows of a method (GUI, pref file, command line or otherwise) of being able to select which sound output device that iTunes uses *without* changing the default output device in System Prefs (ie, independently determine iTunes' device) and also without using something like Soundflower then I'd be interested to hear it.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Get yourself a copy of SoundSource from www.rogueamoeba; it's free (thanks to them!!). It allows you to send system alerts to internal speakers and other sound to any other attached speaker/sound system, whether through minijack or usb.

And if you're into some of the other more convoluted suggestions, take a look at their Airfoil application. You can use it to send audio from specific applications to iOS devices or an Airport Express wirelessly, and it works with just about everything unlike Apple's product.

7. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

...and HDMI, etc.

I highly second SoundSource! it does exactly what you want plus other stuff. And it is free.

8. Imaginethe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all, you've been a great help. I will look into all of these, and work out which is best for me.