Audio Output to Airplay Device

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpmiller22, Jan 27, 2013.

1. cpmiller22 macrumors newbie

Hi all:

I have a mid 2010 macbook pro. I would like to be able to send audio to my airplay capable devices from apps other than iTunes (for instance a youtube video, or vlc). If I look in the system preferences -> sound -> Output I can see some airplay devices, but it will not let me select them. Any help on getting this working would be great!

thanks-

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

3. cpmiller22 thread starter macrumors newbie

@MrBobb

I did look at AirParrot, but it seems like its main feature is mirroring the display. I was mainly interested in just sending audio.

4. hyphymikey macrumors newbie

Did you try holding down the Option key and clicking on the speaker icon in the menu bar? It should show all available airplay devices and you should be able to select one from there.

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Second the recommendation for AirFol. Not only can it send audio from other Apps to AirPlay devices it can do the opposite - receive audio from other devices like iPhones.

6. cpmiller22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try holding option and I don't see any output options listed there, only in the sound config as I mentioned. Is it possible my MacBook is too old to have this option?

Thanks for the airfoil recondition I will take a look at that.